Domestic Gas Services believes that equality of opportunity is key in achieving its mission of providing high quality training and assessment in the gas and associated sectors.
We believe that a properly implemented and monitored programme for ensuring equal opportunities is in the best interest of the Company, its operatives and its staff.
We aim to create an environment in which students and staff are treated solely on the basis of their merits, abilities and potential, regardless of sex, colour, ethnic or national origin, race, gender, disability, age, sexual orientation, socio-economic background, religious or political beliefs, trade union membership, marital status or family circumstances.
We have a responsibility for protecting and adhering to this statement and the Centre policies which support it.
We recognise our responsibility to provide guidance and training in these issues for both students and staff. We will take steps to encourage staff, operatives and visitors to:
• treat others with respect at all times
• actively discourage discriminatory behaviour or practice
• participate in training and learning opportunities that would enable them to adopt good practice
We are committed to a programme of action to change unfair and discriminatory practices wherever they occur. We are also committed to providing a welcoming and inclusive environment in which all individuals have the opportunity to contribute to their full potential.
• Publicise and raise awareness of this statement and its supporting policies amongst staff and operatives
• Provide fair and accessible opportunities for training and promotion for staff
• Operate fair and transparent procedures for student assessment, progression and attainment of awards
• Promote the use of inclusive language and avoid the use of words or phrases which are discriminatory or exclusive in all correspondence
• Introduce new and update existing policies and procedures which support our equal opportunities programme
This statement will apply to all other policies and procedures within the Centre.